Most dogs woof with excitement when they see water. If it’s an ocean, a lake or even just a kiddie pool, they jump in! However, some dogs not only love the water, but are also particularly great swimmers. Check these awesome water dogs!
10 dog breeds that are great swimmers
- Golden Retriever
- Irish Setter
- Standard Poodle
- Irish Water Spaniel
- Labrador Retriever
- Cocker Spaniel
- English Setter
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Fun games with water dogs
If you want to join the fun in the sun with your favorite four-legged swimmer, this list of top 5 water toys for pups will definitely make swimming fun for both of you:
- Floating ball: The bouncy rubber ball is a fantastic alternative to the standard tennis ball and perfect for water.
- Soft rubber Frisbee: The floating ability makes the Frisbee especially ideal for summer play in your dog’s paddling pool or at the beach.
- Floating Aqua Kong: The floating retrieval toy is perfect for all water loving dogs, and promotes fun and exercise, both in and out of water.´The Aqua Kong has a foam core that keeps it floating while your dog swims out to fetch it.
- Wet WUBBA: The Wet WUBBA is covered with easy-to-see neoprene (wet suit) fabric. It floats and is highly visible and easy to find.
- Waterbone Pet Sprinkler: It’s a sprinkler designed for dogs! Attach it to any garden hose and your pup has a safe sprinkler to play with (no more biting at metal sprinklers).
Even though dogs are good swimmers, they can drown just as easily as humans. If you have a pool or go swimming at the beach, a life jacket is a good and important investment. Especially smaller breeds, older dogs and puppies might not have the strength to get out of the water once they’ve fallen in. Anything can happen in water and it pays to be prepared. Life jackets for dogs are available in many different sizes so make sure you get one fitting exactly for your pet. If it doesn’t fit, your pup might slip out of it.
If you have any games, ideas or safety tips for water dogs, please let us know!