Do you think you know everything about our four-legged companions? Then put your knowledge to the test. These 15 amazing dog facts may surprise you.
Did you know….?
- A dog’s sense of smell is more than 1 million times stronger than that of a person (a dog has more than 220 million olfactory receptors in its nose, while humans have only 5 million)
- Spaying or neutering your dog can help prevent certain types of cancer.
- The reason dogs curl up is because of an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and to protect vital organs while they sleep.
- A dog’s nose print is one of a kind, very similar to a person’s fingerprint.
- 10 million pets are missing annually worldwide. Only less than 20% of dogs are reunited with their owners. With Tractive GPS dog owners always know where their beloved friend is and it therefore gives them a feeling of safety 🙂
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in their skull which closes with age.
- Chocolate contains a substance known as theobromine (a natural substance arising from the cocoa bean – similar to caffeine) which can kill dogs or at the very least make them violently ill.
- After birth, puppies’ eyes do not fully open until they’re about 12 days old.
- Dogs have twice as many ear muscles as people and their sense of hearing is more than 10 times more accurate than that of a person.
- 58% put pets in family and holiday portraits.
- The world’s smartest dogs are thought to be (1) the border collie, (2) the poodle, and (3) the golden retriever.
- The world’s smallest dog breed is the Chihuahua and the St. Bernard is the heaviest.
- Obesity is the #1 health problem among dogs (Tractive MOTION can help pet owners prevent overweight and obesity by monitoring the health and activity of their four-legged friends)
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world. France has the 2nd highest.
- Seventy percent of people sign their pets name on greeting/holiday cards. (Why not? Our pets are family)