14 amazing dog facts
Do you think you know everything about our four-legged companions? Then put your knowledge to...
13 August 2018
Do you think you know everything about our four-legged companions? Then put your knowledge to the test. These 15 amazing dog facts may surprise you.
Did you know….?
- A dog’s sense of smell is more than 1 million times stronger than that of a person (a dog has more than 220 million olfactory receptors in its nose, while humans have only 5 million)
- Spaying or neutering your dog can help prevent certain types of cancer.
- The reason dogs curl up is because of an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and to protect vital organs while they sleep.
- A dog’s nose print is one of a kind, very similar to a person’s fingerprint.
- 10 million pets are missing annually worldwide. Only less than 20% of dogs are reunited with their owners. With Tractive GPS dog owners always know where their beloved friend is and it therefore gives them a feeling of safety 🙂
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in their skull which closes with age.
- Chocolate contains a substance known as theobromine (a natural substance arising from the cocoa bean – similar to caffeine) which can kill dogs or at the very least make them violently ill.
- After birth, puppies’ eyes do not fully open until they’re about 12 days old.
- Dogs have twice as many ear muscles as people and their sense of hearing is more than 10 times more accurate than that of a person.
- 58% put pets in family and holiday portraits.
- The world’s smartest dogs are thought to be (1) the border collie, (2) the poodle, and (3) the golden retriever.
- The world’s smallest dog breed is the Chihuahua and the St. Bernard is the heaviest.
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world. France has the 2nd highest.
- Seventy percent of people sign their pets name on greeting/holiday cards. (Why not? Our pets are family)
More interesting Articles
8 November 2018
How to introduce a cat to a dog: Tips & recommendations
Our 3-Step Guide helps you to introduce your cat to a dog the right way!
5 November 2018
5 Reasons why dogs steal socks and how you stop this thief-behaviour
Understanding why dogs steal socks has never been easier!
2 October 2018
How-to guide about handling a dog in heat
Learn how to best handle your dog in heat!