It is 4th of July and time for big beautiful fireworks. We people love it but most dogs are not used to these unexpected loud noises. 4th of July can, therefore, be a particularly stressful holiday for dogs. But there are a few things you can do to keep your dog safe and make this day joyful for both of you.
Safety tips for the 4th of July
- Make sure that your dog gets a lot of exercise earlier in the day. If your dog is tired from the exercise there is a chance that he can relax during the fireworks.
Keep your dog inside during fireworks – preferably with human companionship.
Make sure that your dear pup has a safe zone. Provide a safe place inside for your dog to retreat. It doesn’t really matter where, as long as your dog feels good and safe. And in general, make the house cozy.
- Always have enough toys for your dog to play with. If he has something fun to do the fireworks might be less scary. Keep your pet amused and distracted.
- Sound therapy. Use familiar, comfortable sounds to drown out the noise of the fireworks. However, be aware that you don’t play these sounds ridiculously loud as they can become bothersome themselves.
- Be sure to leave sufficient water and food for your pet. If your dog has access to water, it will calm him down. And, if you provide food in regular portions your dog might feel that it’s a normal day. For dogs, food can be quite a distraction.
- Make sure you always have an eye on your pet. If possible, stay with your pup during the fireworks.
Last but definitely not least, prepare yourself! Stay calm and relaxed. Sometimes, in our desire to ease our pet’s pain, we actually transfer some of our anxiety and upset to the pet. If you’ve prepared properly in advance, there is no need to feel upset and worried.
Keep track of your pet on the 4th of July
Scary noises from storms and 4th of July fireworks can turn the bravest dogs into scared puppies. Some pets even run away on the 4th of July because of their fireworks fears. On this particular day you should, therefore, take extra steps to ensure the safety of your pup. First of all, keep a keen eye on your dog during the fireworks and make sure that you know where he is all the time. Secondly, it would be wise to provide your dog with a Tractive gps tracker in case of escape. The gps tracker is a simple, small device attached to the dog’s collar. The tracker communicates with a Tractive app which means, you can locate your dog, anytime and anywhere, directly on your smartphone. If your dog suddenly disappears during the fireworks you can use the Tractive LIVE-Tracking feature and follow every step of your beloved pet in realtime. So, should you be the owner of a 4th of July runaway, the Tractive gps tracker will give you peace of mind.
Happy 4th of July!
You can download the free Tractive GPS apps for iOS and Android right here: