Skip the store-bought Valentine’s cookies and go homemade with these delicious heart shaped dog treats. With just a few key ingredients, you can make the best Valentine’s treats for your four-legged sweetheart. Your dog will love you even more!
Heart shaped Valentine’s cookies
Total baking time:
- 30 mins
- 7 oz whole wheat flour (eg spelt)
- 3 oz oatmeal
- 7.5 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp water
- Food coloring
What else do you need?
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Backing paper
- Fine brush
How to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, applesauce* and water. Mix until the mixture becomes crumbly
- Knead the dough with your hands, until you get a smooth dough. Then divide the dough in equal portions.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and knead the dough again. You can use a natural food coloring or make your own. We made our own out of beetroot juice, blueberries and spinach.
- Add flour if the dough becomes sticky from the food coloring.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a floured work surface.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to make cute Valentine’s hearts.
- Put the hearts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for around 15 minutes.
- Let the hearts cool and prepare an artist’s brush and a small portion of food coloring. Decorate your Valentine’s cookies with cute words. Don’t forget to let the coloring dry completely.
*You can make a homemade applesauce very easy. All you need is 2 peeled and cored apples. Chop them into chunks, and boil them with 4 tbsp of water for 15 minutes, until the apples begin to fall apart. Mash the apples.
Why homemade Valentine’s cookies?
Homemade Valentine’s cookies are not only a treat for your dog, but also assure you that there are no colorants or preservatives included. Additionally, you can bake them suitable to your dog’s taste and avoid the use of sugar and toxic foods. Homemade treats are much healthier than commercial dog food and by avoiding these dangerous dog food preservatives you can add a few extra years of good health to your pet’s life. The perfect gift for Valentine’s Day. Have fun baking!