Hyperactive, over-excited and jumping up and down. Dogs going crazy can be quite cute and...
27 July 2015
Hyperactive, over-excited and jumping up and down. Dogs going crazy can be quite cute and funny to look at! But, if your hyper puppy leaves you exhausted every single day, you might not see the fun anymore. Here are a few tips to calm your crazy friend.
In general, there is no need to worry. An energetic dog is completely normal. Most dogs have a lot of steam to burn off and, therefore, they need daily activity. If your dog is bouncing off the walls it might just be a sign of happiness, excitement or maybe boredom and a lack of stimulation.
In some cases, the energy reaches a this-drives-me-crazy-level which leaves many dog owners frustrated and exhausted. Here we have a few simple techniques you can try at home to calm your hyperactive dog.
What to do if your dog is hyperactive
- Make sure your dog is getting plenty of exercise. Take daily walks with your pup and/or play outside to get him physically active as often as possible.
- Mental stimulation can also keep your dog calm. Use puzzles, treat-release toys or outdoor activities that appeal to your dog’s natural instincts.
- Try to give your dog a job. By giving your dog a job to do, you are removing his hyperactive behavior and are redirecting his energy elsewhere. Having a task to focus on can be a tremendous help.
- Feed your dog a balanced diet. Food sensitivity can contribute to restless, hyperkinetic behavior. If you don’t know which food is best for your pet, it’s a great idea to ask the opinion of your vet!
- Is your dog completely out of control? Then enroll your pup in an obedience class that helps your dog focus.
Have you already tried the above listed techniques? Do you still have an hyperactive dog who is out of control? Then it would be wise to make an appointment with your vet. It’s important to investigate potential underlying physical or emotional causes for your dog’s unwanted behavior.
Set a daily activity goal
If you want to make sure that your dog gets the right amount of exercise and reduces hyperactive behavior, you can try to set a daily activity goal. With the Tractive MOTION device you can set a daily goal of Pet-Points, fitting for your dog. The progress towards the goal can be checked directly on your smartphone. The Motion app will inform you when your pet is far away from reaching the goal. Of course, you also get notified when the goal is reached. Motion is a good way to keep your pet active, happy and healthy!
You can download the Tractive MOTION app here:
15 November 2017
Calculate your dog’s BMI
Use Tractive's BMI calculator and discover your dog's Body Mass Index.
10 November 2017
How to make a dog and a cat get along well in only 7 steps
Are you thinking about having a dog and a cat in your family? Read this.
2 October 2017
How to celebrate your dog’s birthday with 6 simple ideas
Every day is good to celebrate your dog: get inspired by these 6 gift ideas.