International Cat Day 2015 – aka World Cat Day – is celebrated all over the world on August 8th. The day was founded in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. The purpose of the day is to celebrate our beloved feline friends and to show this tiny, furry animal that we value its companionship.
“What greater gift than the love of a cat?”—Charles Dickens
Cats have been our companions for at least 9,500 years, and are currently the most popular pet in the world. Cats can be found in many households around the world, especially in Europe and North America. But a cat is so much more than a companion animal. Studies show that interactions with cats may improve health and reduce physical responses to stress. Having a cat in the household may also improve psychological health by providing emotional support to people suffering from depression, anxiety and loneliness. This ability to provide companionship and friendship is one of the reasons why we celebrate our feline friends.
The top 10 ways to celebrate National Cat Day
Do you want to celebrate the International Cat Day by doing something special? We have collected a few ideas for you:
- Adopt a cat from your local shelter or cat rescue.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to play with some cats available for adoption, clean cages and litter boxes or anything else they need help with
- Bake some tuna cookies for your cat.
- Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your new cat.
- Buy your cat a fun new toy….condo, bed or treats!
- Give your cat some fun exercise by putting up some walls shelves specifically for him/her.
- Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs.
- Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number, just in case they get outside and happen to become lost.
- Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
- Have a National Cat Day party and invite all your friends and their cats!
How do you plan on celebrating the International Cat Day? Please share your day with us!
Happy Cat Day!