Some manufactured dog foods contain harmful ingredient, like chemicals and meat byproducts. Kidney damage, heat rashes, scratching and dry skin are all normal reactions to dog food with artificial preservatives. Therefore, it is very important to be aware of which foods can harm your dear pet. The easiest way to be sure your pet is eating healthily is to actually make the meals yourself. We have found some simple yet delicious recipes for you.
Before you start
There are three basic ingredients that you need to have for your pup to have a well rounded diet: Some form of meat, vegetables, and rice or lentils. There are also some ingredients that you should never use when make your own dog food. Stay away from bacon and ham, onion, sugar, tomatoes, grapes, chocolate or dairy products.
Peanut Butter Cookies
So simple yet delicious!
Dogs love peanut butter, and these cookies are a great way to sneak some fish oil into your dog’s diet. Fish oil improves your dog’s coat, making it shiny, soft, and healthier.
- 2 cups of flour (white or wheat)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 tablespoon of fish oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
How to do
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix the flour and oats together in a large mixing bowl. Pour in one cup of water and blend until smooth. Add in the peanut butter, honey, and fish oil and mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Add the water until the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Lightly flour a cooking surface. Roll the dough onto the cooking surface to create a thick sheet.
- Use a cookie cutter to create shapes. Place the cookies onto a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool the cookies completely before feeding.
Make your own dog food – beef & vegetable balls
Some dogs prefer meaty treats over sweet ones. These treats are easy to make and we promise you…your dog will thank you!
- 750 grams of organic beef and vegetable baby food
- cup of whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups of dry milk
- 1 cup of water
How to do
- Preheat the oven to to 180°C
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Drop the mixture onto a baking sheet in large spoonfuls.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool the treats completely before feeding
Chicken, broccoli and rice
Fresh breath and rich in calcium!
- 2,3 kg of diced chicken
- 5 whole eggs, raw or cooked
- 5 cups rice (white or brown)
- 3 cups of chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
How to do
- Boil chicken and a rice until the chicken is almost fully cooked
- Add broccoli and simmer until the chicken is finished.
- Let the meal cool and then add the eggs and oil.
- This doggy dinner can also be kept in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Dogs are a captive audience. They have no choice but to eat what we put in front of them. The same food, day after day, week after week. So why not provide them with good, healthy food? Homemade meals are much healthier than commercial dog food and by avoiding these dangerous dog food preservatives you can add a few extra years of good health to your pet’s life. Additionally, you can freeze homemade dog food, so you always have some cheap, healthy alternatives on hand for your pup. And, as an extra bonus, you can save money by making your own dog meals and snacks. What’s not to like?
Have you tried to make your own dog food? Please share your recipes with us!