Need help with your tracker or account? Get Support
When Dogs Eat Mushrooms: What To Do?
Encountering toxic mushrooms in your daily walks with your favorite fluffy friend is something very common. Get familiar with the most dangerous mushrooms types and learn how to recognize the symptoms in your dog!
Whether you have a yard of your own or you take your dog on long walks through the woods, there may be substances which are toxic to dogs within your dog’s reach. And this includes poisonous mushrooms, which in the worst case, can be fatal for your furry friend. So what do you do if your dogs eat mushrooms? Which mushrooms are poisonous to dogs, and what are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning? We’ll cover all that and more in this post!
Table of contents
Can dogs eat mushrooms?
Well, yes and no. The answer is not so simple. Just like you, some mushrooms are safe for dogs and some mushrooms are poisonous for dogs. The most dangerous mushrooms for dogs might be deadly. So most veterinarians advise against letting your dogs eat mushrooms in the wild, even if you try to identify them as safe1.
Only a small percentage of mushroom species are toxic. But the ones that are toxic – are really toxic.
To keep your dog safe, don’t let them eat mushrooms found in the wild. Grocery store-bought mushrooms are generally safe for dogs to eat, but leave off the sauces, oil, salt and other spices which can be harmful to dogs. Dogs can eat store-bought mushrooms plain or raw, but don’t really need them in their diet. So why not serve them some of these healthy vegetables for dogs instead?
Are mushrooms poisonous to dogs?
Yes, some mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs just as many are to us humans, too. Poisonous mushrooms that grow in the wild can be extremely difficult to identify, and they can be very dangerous for dogs.
While some toxic mushrooms look obviously poisonous, others appear harmless, and could be mistaken for the mushrooms you buy at the grocery store.
So look out for the following toxic fungi in case your dogs eat mushrooms on your next walk outside. And of course make sure your dog does not eat them!
Mushrooms that are poisonous to dogs
The following mushrooms are poisonous to dogs:
- fly agaric
- gyromitra esculenta
- galerina marginata
- fools webcap
- death cap
- jeweled deathcap
- panther cap
As the video below explains, poisonous mushrooms can pop up in your local park or forest, or even your backyard. So it’s important to be vigilant about not letting your dog eat wild mushrooms.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs
If your dog has ingested poisonous mushrooms, they might experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin
- Uncoordinated movements
- Strong heartbeat
- Excessive drooling
- Liver failure
Although the symptoms can vary depending on which mushroom your pet actually ate, how many, and the size of the dog, you always have to react quickly. Similar symptoms can also be caused by different toxic pet foods.
If your dog may have been poisoned, contact a vet immediately; there is no real home treatment for toxic mushroom ingestion. If there are any mushrooms left, bring one for identification purposes. Even if your dog doesn’t seem to have any of these symptoms, but ate mushrooms, it’s a good idea to visit your vet. At least you will figure out which kind of mushroom your dear pup consumed.
Diagnosis and treatment of mushroom poisoning in dogs
When you bring your dog (and the mushroom sample) to the vet, it’s important that you are prepared to answer the following questions:
- When did your dog eat the mushroom? What time?
- How much did your dog eat?
- Can you describe the mushroom?
- Is your dog showing any symptoms?
Being aware of the symptoms of dog poisoning and getting the right treatment can save your dog’s life.
Treatment for a poisoned dog is specific for the poison involved and the symptoms. In some cases, the treatment may begin by making your pet vomit up the poison by using salt water, diluted hydrogen peroxide, or Ipecac. For pets that shouldn’t or can’t vomit, your veterinarian may give your pet an antidote.
Need help keeping track of your dog?
If there’s a chance your furry friend could escape, and go eat any of the toxic mushrooms mentioned above, you’ll need to be prepared to retrieve them as soon as possible. Especially if your dog loves to hunt and forage – as poisonous mushrooms can actually smell like fish, which might attract dogs! Keep an eye on your dog at all times with a GPS dog tracker.
The small dog tracker attaches onto your dog’s collar, and lets you track your dog anywhere, anytime, in real-time using the Tractive GPS app. It offers features like the Virtual Fence, to alert you when your dog leaves a safe area, and the Find Mode, to help you find your dog even faster. The best technology, for your best friend! 🐾❤️
For more information about how wild mushrooms can be toxic for dogs, check out the video below with advice from veterinarian Courtney Campbell.
Did you know about these toxic mushrooms? Share this information with your friends!
- Good to know
2 January 2023
Dog In Heat? Learn How To Handle The Dog Heat Cycle & Keep Your Dog Safe
Learn how to best handle your dog in heat!Read more
- Good to know
27 December 2022
How To Get Your Dog To Sleep Through The Night
Discover the six reasons why dogs don't sleep through the night plus how to help them.Read more
1 November 2022
10 Steps To Safely Walk Your Dog In The Dark
Stay safe walking the dog at night with these tips.Read more
- Good to know
24 September 2022
Driving With A Dog: How To Make Car Trips Safe And Enjoyable
Hit the road with your pup in style, comfort, and safety.Read more