Common dangers for cats – Pay attention!
Did you know, that there are a number of dangers around your house that may...
Did you know, that there are a number of dangers around your house that may be dangerous to your cat? Cats are curious creatures and they will take every opportunity to explore new things. The dangers are often not visible for humans, because some of them we hardly notice, and therefore we forget to pay attention. However, the dangers around the house can have sad consequences for our fluffy companion, which is why I want to make you aware of the potential dangers for cats.
If a cat discovers a tilted window and then tries to reach the outside, it can happen that it gets stuck in the opening. If the cat is not removed within a few minutes, and stays stuck, serious internal organ injuries may occur. Worst-case scenario, internal organ injuries can lead to forced euthanasia. Of course, you should be able to bring fresh air into the house, but then secure the window opening with a grid or be present in the room where the window is open.
Balconies and open windows
Pay particular attention to balconies and open windows as these may be danger-zones.
Even though cats are known for their great balance, they can still fall and suffer major damages.
One way to protect your loved one would be with a cat-compatible grid. Roof balconies are very dangerous for cats because the risk of falling far down is increased.
Cats are curious animals, so your favorite plants might pose a huge temptation to your little friend. Cats, and some people, are not aware that many plants can be toxic due to pesticides and other chemicals. If a cat takes a bite of a toxic plant reactions can vary from mild irritation of the mouth and gums to vomiting, seizures and even death. This doesn’t mean you have to strip your house of all greenery. You just need to be aware of the plants that can harm your cat. Another source of danger around the plants are wateringr cans with fertilizer in the water. They should be kept strictly away from cats.
Ropes and cables
Playing with ropes and cables is probably one of the most popular games for all cats. The fact that cables and ropes can cause severe injuries is often neglecated by cat owners. Especially the lights on the Christmas tree are very tempting for cats. Therefore, you should take care that no cables, ropes or other dangerous toys are available for your fluffy friend. The best would be to hide the dangerous cables a bit away and make sure that they aren’t too visible.
The curiosity of cats is part of their nature, so don’t be surprised if your cat suddenly starts licking on cleaning materials to figure out what it is. However, this is very dangerous for your cat and may cause poisoning and/or chemical burns. Thefore, cleaning materials should not be within reach of your four-legged friend, but should be locked away in a cupboard. While cleaning a room it would be wise to keep your cat in another room until the cleaned surfaces are completely dry and safe.
Conclusion: Dangers for cats
The list of possible dangers for cats could be much longer. Dangers are everywhere and they are not always obvious to humans. We can not take care of our cats 24 hours a day and predict the dangers. However, by being aware of what might cause dangerous situations you are already eliminating some future injuries. Your cat will thank you!
Do you know what else to be aware of? Please let us know!
More interesting Articles
- Good to know
10 December 2019
Fearful dogs: our expert reveals everything you need to know
These tips will help you treat anxiety in your fearful dog!Read more
12 November 2018
Walking the dog in the dark: Beware of these dangers!
These tips will help you stay safe in the dark while walking the dog!Read more
16 August 2018
Why do dogs go missing? Reasons and precautions
Your dog's need to run away is natural: learn why and keep your dog safe.Read more
21 June 2018
When dogs eat poisonous mushrooms: What to do?
Toxic mushrooms for dogs are often found on your daily walks. Find out what you can do, in case your beloved four-legged friend has accidentally eaten poisonous mushrooms!Read more